July 22, 2012

love me some lovelight...

   i could be a vegetarian. except i love meat. for 20 years or so, there was a marvelous little bakery & restaurant on campus corner in norman, oklahoma called the lovelight. it was just wonderful. strictly vegetarian, quirky, fresh & best of all, inexpensive. their legendary red beans & rice with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese & a fresh little green salad was $2.85. even a humble teacher with a law student husband & a teeny tiny ($291/month) mortgage could deal with that. remarkably, at the height of my ultra -preppy, ultra- conservative Harold's & laura ashley years, the place made me want to don a crocheted beenie & weave a God's eye. i may have been a wee bit out of place in my pink & green spouting whale pants, but i absolutely loved the hippie vibe...and the sprouts. sadly, the lovelight is gone now, but there IS a "lovelight bakery" facebook page where lovelight affectionados can mourn, share recipes, pictures & happy/hippie memories. recently, the recipe for their VEGETARIAN CHILI was posted. i hope it's legal for me to pass it on. peace out.



*lovelight's vegetarian chili*

3 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock or water (ju's note: please use stock)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 cup chopped tomatoes or 2 T. tomato paste
4 cups cooked pinto or kidney beans (or a combination)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp salt

saute garlic & onion & green peppers in olive oil...  add all remaining ingredients, but reserve 2 cups of the beans to mash & add after chili simmers for 30 minutes, covered....(if desired, adjust seasonings- i like more cumin & chili powder myself......i suppose you could add additional vegetables, say, zucchini & the like, but it was pretty good the way i remember it)

9 comments:

  1. I loved the Lovelight sandwich and Papaya juice!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that sandwich, too! & pretty much everything else they served!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi. lorrie! it's been a VERY long time since i looked at my blog- missed all these comments the past 2 years:) thx for commenting!


      me, too, unknown love light friend!!!!

      Delete
  3. Lordy. I can still taste their veggie burger. Want that today, which led me to your blog here. Now I am going to find the FB page, and hope someone posted the veggie burger recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, robin! the Facebook page is called "love light bakery & sandwich factory"..... it's great fun to follow- familiar faces & recipes pop up every so often - it truly was a family to the people who made it all happen!

      Delete
  4. Ok, I am not sure, but lookie what I found...https://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_recipesite_search.asp?keywords=a&using=Allwords&searchin=all&sort=Most+Popular&submit=Go!&pg=1&sid=357193

    I 'think' these all look like Lovelight type recipes...seems like maybe? Just maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I worked at Lovelight Bakery in 1979 for a year, my last year of school at OU. The recipes are the same ones I copied down before I left. I noticed the cookbook does not have the whole wheat bread recipe, which I have (albeit the scaled up version) - is there some way to get that to the creator of the online cookbook? Also, thanks for finding it, I was craving aveggie burger and there it is!

      Delete
  5. Here is your red bean recipe...
    https://www.familycookbookproject.com/recipe/3024097/spicy-red-beans.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!!! thank you so much for your research & for sharing!!!! (it's literally been 2 years since I re-read this & just noticed the comments:)

    ReplyDelete